Setting Priorities for Municipal Services, Programs and Infrastructure
The municipal budget is a key policy and planning document that outlines our municipality’s priorities for services, programs and infrastructure. Setting the budget is a balancing act between often competing priorities – providing the high level of services that residents deserve and expect versus what we can afford.
Each year, municipal staff put forward a draft preliminary budget for comment. There are two parts – the operations budget that covers the day-to-day services of the municipality, and the capital budget that covers large infrastructure and other long-term projects. The Mayor and Council, with input from Middlesex Centre residents and businesses, make choices about what municipal services, programs and infrastructure projects should be included in the budget.
Developing the 2023 Budget
Annual Budget Development Process
Public involvement in the Budget Process
- The Budget Survey - The survey was open from June 30 to August 8, 2022. We thank everyone that took the time to comment. We are reviewing the survey feedback and will post the results after they are presented to Council in October.
- Talk to Us Directly - Members of the public are invited to provide input or ask any questions by email or phone.
Background - Municipal Budget Basics
In 2020, COVID-19 kept us from holding our traditional public meetings to share information about the budget and how it is created. Instead, Middlesex Centre staff recorded a series of short videos on budget basics. While the dollar figures might be a bit different from year to this year, these videos provide a good overview of how we create the municipal budget and highlight how your tax dollars are spent:
- Budget Basics - A Balancing Act
- Budget Basics - Capital Budget and Asset Management
- Budget Basics - Property Taxes
- Budget Basics - Where your Tax Dollars Go: General Governance
- Budget Basics - Where your Tax Dollars Go: Community Services
- Budget Basics - Where your Tax Dollars Go: Fire Services
- Budget Basics - Where your Tax Dollars Go: Roads
- Budget Basics - Water, Wastewater and Stormwater: While not part of your property taxes, water and wastewater fees are something we often hear about at budget time. Watch this short video to learn a bit more on how your water rates ensure clean drinking water and a healthy environment.
You might also want to review:
- General Information on Municipal Budget
- Middlesex Centre "Budget 101" Presentation
- MPAC - Property Assessment Information
- A Primer on Reserves and Reserve Funds
- Municipal Debt Fact Sheet
For More Information