Information for Candidates and Third-Party Advertisers

The next municipal election will be held Monday, October 24, 2022.

If you are interested in running as a candidate for municipal office or participating as a third-party advertiser, please review the general information about the 2022 election and the details below. In particular, you'll want to look at the Information for Candidates Guide.

If you have questions about running for Council or if you are ready to take the next step, contact James Hutson, Municipal Clerk for Middlesex Centre. 


Information for Candidates

Who can run for Council?

A person is eligible to submit a nomination for office by meeting the following requirements:

  • a resident of the municipality or a non-resident owner or tenant of land in the municipality or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant;
  • a Canadian citizen and at least 18 years old; not legally prohibited from voting; and
  • not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.

Please note that the following people are disqualified from holding office as a member of council:

  • an employee of the municipality unless they take an unpaid leave of absence beginning the day they are nominated, and resign if elected to office;
  • a judge of any court;
  • a Member of Parliament, a Member of Provincial Parliament, or a Senator; or
  • a candidate who failed to file the necessary financial statement(s) in the last municipal election.
How do I officially become a candidate? Submitting Nomination Papers

The municipality will being accepting nomination submissions on May 2, 2022. You must file your nomination papers in-person by appointment with the Municipal Clerk.

Requirements to file a nomination paper are:

  • a completed Nomination Form (Form 1);
  • at least 25 declaration of endorsement signatures (Form 2. Please note you will need to add additional boxes for all 25 endorsement signatures using the "Add Person (+)" button on the form.);
  • current acceptable identification; and
  • nomination filing fee (paid by cash, debit card, certified cheque or money order, payable to ‘Municipality of Middlesex Centre’). Personal cheques and credit cards are not accepted.
    • The filing fee is $200 for candidates running for Mayor and $100 for Ward Councillor.
    • Nomination fees are refunded to candidates once they file the required financial statement(s).

For each municipal election, the Province of Ontario releases a guide with information on registering as a candidate, campaign rules, financial filing requirements, and more. You can find this guide on the Province's Municipal Elections Website.

Please refer to the 2022 Information for Candidates (Nomination Procedures) for more information.

When is the last day a candidate can file their nomination papers?

Friday, August 19, 2022 at 2 pm.

Is it possible to file nominations electronically?

No, you must file your nomination papers in-person at the municipal office.

If required, additional information may be submitted electronically at the request of the Clerk’s office.

I filed my nomination papers. Can I assume my name will appear on the ballot?

No. The Clerk is required to certify each nomination after it has been filed and before the close of nominations. The Clerk will verify the candidate’s name is on the Voters List and therefore an eligible elector. 

It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they meet all the qualifications and file proper nomination papers. Each candidate should contact the Municipal Office to ensure that their forms are in order. Since the Clerk may examine the nominations papers after the nomination period ends and may reject them, a candidate may find that their papers have been rejected and are too late to file additional information or provide proof to the Clerk of their qualifications. The Clerk will review the forms with candidate at their nomination appointment, and will review a second time after nomination period ends to certify as required by the Act.

What if there are no candidates for an office? Additional Nominations

If there are positions that no candidates have run for or positions that are still vacant after the candidates who did run have been acclaimed, the Clerk will call for additional nominations.

Additional nominations for the remaining vacant seats must be filed between 9 am and 2 pm on Wednesday, August 24, 2022. The Clerk must either certify or reject each nomination by 4 pm on Thursday, August 25, 2022.

When can I start campaigning?

You can only start campaigning after you file your nomination papers.


Information for Third-Party Advertisers

What is a Third-Party Advertisement?

 A Third-Party Advertisement refers to an advertisement in any broadcast, print, electronic or other medium that promotes, supports or opposes a candidate in the election, or, a "yes" or "no" answer to a question on the ballot.

  • Participates in the election by running a campaign the same way a candidate would.
  • Ontario residents, corporations and trade unions that will incur expenses for such advertisements must register as a third-party advertiser with the Municipal Clerk before they can begin advertising.
  • Third-Party Advertising does not include issues-based advertising so groups that do public outreach can continue their issued-based advocacy work throughout the municipal election period.
  • Advertising that does not cost money to post or broadcast, such as comments made on social media, will not be considered Third-Party Advertising.
What is the time frame for Third-Party Advertisers register, and what's the process?

Third-Party Advertisers must register with the Municipal Clerk between May 2, 2022 and October 21, 2022.

To register, you must complete a Notice of Registration - Third Party (Form 7). 

You or an agent must file this form in-person by appointment with the Municipal Clerk. You must provide proof of identity, and if you are representing a corporation or trade union you may require a resolution authorizing you to act on their behalf.  The Clerk will review these requirements when you book your appointment.

Who can register as a Third-Party Advertiser?

Only the following persons and entities are eligible to file a notice of registration:

  • An individual who is normally a resident in Ontario.
  • A corporation that carries on business in Ontario.
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.
Who cannot register as a Third-Party Advertiser?

Persons and entities that are not eligible to file a notice of registration include:

  • A candidate whose nomination has been filed under Section 33 of the Municipal Elections Act.
  • A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act (Canada) or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party.
  • A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act.
  • The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board.



Province of Ontario Resources
Middlesex Centre Resources
Other Resources