The next municipal election will be held Monday, October 24, 2022.
The previous municipal election was held on October 22, 2018. Under the Municipal Elections Act, the four-year term of office for the current council and school board trustees began December 1, 2018, and ends November 14, 2022.
- Offices to be Elected
The 2022 Municipal Election is being held for the following offices in Middlesex Centre:
- Mayor (1) – elected at large
- Deputy Mayor (1) – elected at large
- Ward Councillors (5) – 1 elected per ward
In addition, voters will elect school board trustees based on the school board they support.
- Registered Candidates
Please see our Candidates for Municipal Election Page:
- Who can Vote
Eligibility to vote in a municipal election is based on the requirements of the Municipal Elections Act.
Any person is entitled to vote who, on the day of the election, is:
- 18 years of age or older;
- a Canadian citizen; and
- a resident of the municipality, or a non-resident owner or tenant of land located in the municipality, or the spouse of an owner or tenant of land located in the municipality; and
- not legally prohibited from voting.
- Confirming your Information on the Voters List
Between January and mid-August, eligible voters were encouraged to use the voterlookup.ca system, managed by MPAC, to confirm their information for the municipal election.
After the voterlookup.ca site is closed, you will need to contact the municipal office to:
- confirm or update your electoral information,
- add or remove an elector name to an address, or
- change your school support.
Please visit this webpage and/or contact the municipal office after Labour Day for more information on changes to the Voters List.
- Voting Method for 2022
Municipality of Middlesex Centre Council approved the use of telephone and electronic voting for 2022, the same format as used by Middlesex Centre in 2018.
More information on how to vote will be provided closer to the election.
- Important Dates for the 2022 Election
Nomination Period for Candidates:
- May 2, 2022 to August 18, 2022 (8:30am to 4:30pm Mon-Fri, excl. holidays); and
- Nomination Day: Friday, August 19, 2022 (9:00am to 2:00pm)
Third-Party Advertising Registration Period:
- May 2, 2022 to October 21, 2022 (8:30am to 4:30pm)
"Lame Duck" Period (If Applicable):
Related to the Municipal Election - Section 275 of the Municipal Act, 2001 states that if less than 75% of incumbent councillors seek re-election, the Council for a municipality is restricted from passing any by-law that allocates spending of more than $50,000.00 or creates a liability for the municipality greater than $50,000. This is known as a "lame duck" council.
- August 19, 2022 at 2pm to November 14, 2022 at 11:59pm
Preliminary List of Electors Released to the Public:
- September 1, 2022
Voting Period for Electors:
- Advanced Voting Period: Monday, October 17, to Sunday, October 23, 2022
- Election Day: Monday, October 24, 2022
Term of New Council:
- November 15, 2022 to November 14, 2026
Ending of Campaigns:
- Last date for any candidate and third-party campaigning: January 3, 2023
- Candidate and Third-Party Financial Reporting Deadline: March 31, 2023 at 2:00pm
- Late Candidate and Third-Party Financial Reporting (subject to $500 late filing fee): May 1, 2023 at 2:00pm
- Information for Candidates and Third-Party Advertisers
If you are interested in running for Council or participating as a third-party advertiser, please visit:
Province of Ontario Resources:
- Municipal Elections Website, Province of Ontario
- Municipal Elections Act, 1996
- Ontario Regulation 303/13
- Ontario Regulation 101/97
- Municipal Act, 2001
- Candidate and Third-Party Advertiser Information Session, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, April 4, 2022
Middlesex Centre Resources:
Check back for updates as the election approaches.